Transitioning from Relaxed to Natural Hair

Natural Hair is so Versatile



I'm considering transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair. I have not fully decided but I am actually excited about it already. 

I have come to believe that our black hair is beautiful the way it is and we should learn to embrace our hair. We can never really have hair that that of the Whites, Asians, Latinos etc. So, we might look at their hair with longing... but we should look at our own natural hair with longing! because it is possible. Having a hair texture like the white is not possible so why long after the impossible.


Chemical relaxers contain an unspeakable amount of toxins. Sodium hydroxide is lethal if ingested, so you need to ask yourself, “What is this doing to my body when I put it on my scalp?” Your body is absorbing it that’s what. Studies are finding that relaxers are being linked to fibroid tumors in African American women.

Going from relaxed to natural hair is like letting go of a chemical weight that has held you down as long as you’ve been letting it. 

My Future Regime

1. I have already began to reduce the use of direct heat on my hair. I also just found out the existence of hooded dryers which I found out should be on medium or lower setting for as little time as possible.

2. I have found out that Deep conditioning weekly (or biweekly for me) with moisturizing conditioners will help strengthen and soften my new growth, relaxed hair and prevent breakage.

3. For new transitioners complaining about coarse and unmanageable new growth, deep conditioning (using products like Organics Olive Oil Replenisher) is key to dealing with this.

4. I will wear a lot of protective styles. I have been researching about those already.

5. I have been advised to use sulfate-free shampoos. Sulfates strip your hair of its natural oils. Natural hair can be dry enough, and doesn't need help from sulfates.

6. I will trim my ends every 4-6 weeks. Instead of going for the "BIG CHOP" like so many people I would rather transition gradually, trim split ends and in the process gradually get rid of the relaxed hair.

7. A hot oil treatment at least once a month. I have been told this would really strengthen your hair!

8. I found out that transitioning kits are available now. The available one, Carol's daughter transitioning kit - The First & Only Relaxed-To-Natural Hair Solution Specifically Made For Transitioners! I have heard good reviews so far.

9. Major products needed are a good shampoo, conditioner (leave-in and rinse out) and a few daily moisturizers (preferably natural oils).

I think it’s great when going natural inspires people to live healthier lives and I beleive I have seen a whole lot of people all around the world to inspire me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IRO AND BUBA STYLES

JEWEL NECKLINE

TURTLE NECK